When it comes to purchasing a new mattress, you can buy one of two ways: from a showroom or online. These days more and more mattress companies are selling their own product exclusively online. They'll roll up the mattress so it fits in a box that can be shipped right to your door. The traditional method means visiting a brick-and-mortar store. So which way is better? Should you follow the trend and go online? Or head to the store and then head home?
Buying in store
- You get to try the mattress before buying it.
- You can talk directly to a salesperson who knows mattresses.
- There is a physical place where you can go for customer service.
- You can talk directly to a sales person. Sales people are pushy and will try to sell you the most expensive mattress. (This is also a con if you dislike human interaction.)
- You are likely to pay more money than you would online.
- It can be intimidating.
- You may have to figure out how to transport the mattress to your house on your own.
- There usually are not any trial periods or returns.
- It's time consuming. You have to check out different stores and try different mattresses.
- Free shipping (usually).
- Great products and at a more affordable price.
- 100-night trial periods.
- Better return policies.
- Some companies have a chat box so you can directly ask a company representative to answer your questions in real time.
- Shop without ever leaving your home!
- Many online mattress companies compress and roll the mattress to fit it into a box.
- Flexible and convenient. Shop when you want, not when the store's open!
- You can be more informed by doing your research online.
- Better selection. There are so many more brands online than in a store.
- Easier to compare mattresses while shopping online.
- No sales pressure or haggling.
- You can’t try it before you buy it. Many online mattress companies do offer 100-day trials though.
- You must do your research first to pick the type of mattress you want since you can't try them out.
Though we're a little bit biased, we believe that online shopping is the way to go. But it's really up to you and what you're more comfortable with. Remember: your mattress is important to your quality of life.